98/365 Fox’s second birthday
FOX: What do you think you are doing, little man? Do you want to break your mother’s heart? I thought we had an agreement. When you were born I looked you in the eyes and said “Please don’t grow up. Please stay little forever. OK?” I interpreted your silent, blank stare as, “Of course, mummy. Whatever you want”. And today, today you turn two? Two! Well, since you seem to insist on growing up, at least you happen to be the sweetest little two year old on the block. At least your big, twice-as-wide-as-your-head grin never fails to brighten my day, no matter how shitty it is. And at least I have literally thousands, thousands of photos to remember that fleeting babyhood of yours. It could be worse. Happy birthday my beautiful boy. I love you more than chocolate. I love you more than naps, more than sunshine, more than ice-cream. I love you more than the first sip of a fizzy drink or air-conditioning during a heat wave. And I clearly love you more than my own sanity. Suffice it to say, I love you a lot.
A few things I never want to forget about you at this age:
– The way you call yourself ‘Fefo’ and your sister ‘Annie’.
– The way you idolise your sister and copy her every action obsessively.
– The way you will do almost anything I say for a bit of ‘choc-a-lit’.
– The way you stick out your tongue when you’re nervous.
– The way you never deny me kisses.
– The way you kiss my cheek, then say “awon” (other one) and turn my head so you can kiss the other cheek.
– The way you scrunch my ear while you’re falling asleep.
– The way you fall asleep in my arms every single night.
– They way you love cuddles in the morning when you’re waking up.